trash

About Forums Feedbacks trash

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  coder 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

william
    Participant

I got an alert to update new version. The update erased my entire library. I guess that’s one of those minor bug fixes that needs to be corrected. Thanks for nothing. Disabled Vietnam Veteran living in a Vet Center.

coder
    Keymaster

I’m really sorry about you library. Your case is the second among 3500 updates till now.
    Something went wrong when migrated on the new datastore.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by  coder.

Meitnik
    Participant

I am concerned here. Saw same bug reported on MAS. I am about to buy but this bug makes me want to wait. I hope you figure this bug and fix fast. Oh, having an updated manual would help too when using the demo. ;-) I have waited a long time for some of the new features. More comment else where…

coder
    Keymaster

This is not a bug. There are many other users upgraded without any problem. I think it is unavoidable that some upgrades may have a problem.

Meitnik
    Participant

Not an acceptable answer. I have been doing QA for many decades (am 57) for many companies with many different products. I break apps. I have seen and reported app bugs that corrupt a database file making migration during updates break. And had to hand hold users whose data is gone — its painful. Did you bother to ask if there was Time Machine back up; did you reach out to help restore?? Database corruption bugs is one the of the most important bugs and hardest to test for. Just because many users have no problems doesn’t mean there is no bug. Trust my hard earned experience, there is one. If you want to just blow the data damage off, then you really don’t want my money — ever. Here was I ready to buy; Disappointed.

coder
    Keymaster

You are absolutely right. But. Just one but: the migration mechanism of CoreData is completely out of our control. I’ve just set the flag telling CoreData that we have a next version of DB, and CoreData should do the trick in the completely automatic way exactly as stated by Apple.

We have two options then: to upgrade the database, adding new cool features and to not add anything, continuing use the old one. We have chosen the first way.

Meitnik
    Participant

test posting. Well, am not allowed to post my reply. Moving on…lost a sale.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by  Meitnik.

coder
    Keymaster

Download BookReaderLite, it is FREE.
    There are 48,000 upgrades of BookReaderLite – 0 issues with CoreData, 3,500 upgrades of BookReader – 6 cases of “Error of ….permanent storage” by CoreData till now.

Meitnik
    Participant

No I waited a long time to buy version 5 with features I need.
    My longer reply you will not allow me to post.
    Apple’s tech is buggy too and you can get burned by it. Thats a fact not a myth. I will wait longer to see if you get this fixed.

Meitnik
    Participant

You got me locked out of MacUpdate based on my comments. You don’t want me as a buyer. Got it.

Meitnik
    Participant

Well, a day later, MacUpate agreed my posting was not so bad; am back.

I will be buying the app because I want you to move forward fixing bugs and adding features. Your App is important for my ability to research. And you want me to report bugs. ;-) I want a killer epub reader. :-)

However, even 6 users having a bad experience is not to be blown off.

After 35 yrs testing, You must understand Apple is not your friend and cannot be really trusted; seen many devs get burned by Apple bugs at all levels. Seen some app not even ship! I urge you to get some other database backend.

coder
    Keymaster

Thank you, you are welcome. Together we will fix all the bugs and make BookReader a “must have” app.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

No comments yet

Comments are closed.